Saturday 22 January 2011

reality check

Tonight's devotion was about how we should always be followers of God, not 'everyone'. What everyone does is not always the right things to do.

At the end of the devotion, Joanna commented that she knows whose examples she is not going to follow.

'Who?' I asked.

'Mommy and daddy's,' was her reply.
*heart skipped a beat*

'Why?' I probed.

'Mommy says we shouldnt use bad words like 'shit' but she sometimes uses them. And daddy does not allow us to watch TV during meal times but at the breakfast table, he is using his iPod touch.'

Wow. I was dumbfounded for a while. There was nothing wrong with what she has just said.

Trying to salvage whatever pride left in me, I asked another question.

'Is there nothing from us that you would want to follow?' I asked.

'Have la. But very little,' she said matter-of-factly.

I then apologised for not being a good example to them and sought for their understanding that mommy and daddy are not perfect, we still make mistakes like everyone else.

Tonight's was a good reality check for hubby and I.

Our children are sometimes our best mirrors.
Do we like what we see?

No comments: