Friday 14 January 2011

getting paid

The gals have been lamenting how they are not given any pocket money here in Japan.

Well, lunch is prepared for by the school every day and there is neither a bookshop nor a canteen in the school. So why should they be given pocket money?

But they have been murmuring how if they had money, they would be able to save some and buy something when they had enough saved up.

And so, Rachelle suggested that she could do chores in the house and earn some money.

Initially hubby was agreeable to the idea, but I had my reservations.

Why should there be a price tagged to chores? Shouldnt it be done out of love? Out of care for the family? And not done because I am getting paid for it?

I know many parents who are doing this: rewarding their children in monetary form. It can be for an array of reasons, like getting good grades, washing the car, helping out at home, running errands, being obedient, and the list goes on.

But what everyone is doing does not make it the right thing to do, does it?

Personally, I feel that if I were to pay my kids for helping out in the house, that sounds so wrong. The subliminal message sent across is that I must get paid for doing something, even helping another. There is this mentality taught subconsciously: What am I getting in return?

So hubby and I talked over it. We then agreed that the gals should not be paid if they were to help out in the house, nor do anything for us, for money.

Then we explained our rationale to the gals and I am so glad that they understood where we are coming from.

Rachelle understood it so well that she made a Chores Coupon booklet for us. On each coupon, is written a chore that she is able to do, like make everyone's bed. And when we use the coupon, she will do it for free!

This system still has it's flaws. Like they only do or help out in the house only when asked.

But still, I think it is a much better system than getting paid for doing so!

Told the gals that money will be given them when they need it. Or when they wanna buy certain things, depending on its value and purpose, we will get it for them.

When we return to Singapore, they will get their pocket money because it is then necessary to have when in school.

There shouldnt be a price tag for love shown.

No comments: