Sunday 20 February 2011

happening weekend

Friday
Hosted a dinner for 4 Japanese and 1 Korean at our tiny place. 2 of them had specially requested to taste Singapore's Chicken Rice. Hubby and I had a hard time deciding what the dinner menu should be. Cos another guest does not fancy red meat and we Chinese are such carnivores!

So after a couple days of thinking through, the dinner menu for that night was Chicken Rice, Bak Kut Teh, Asam Prawns, Glutinous Rice, Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Pork (made with gluten) and Salad.

I started preparing since about 9am. I had to. Cos I only have 1 claypot, 1 steel pot and a shallow frying pan. I literally had to plan what to cook or blanch first.

In the midst of cooking, hubby and I also changed our bedlinen. I even managed to wash 3 loads of wash!

Dinner was a huge success. Guests really enjoyed the spread. I also served a dessert, not made but just put together. Pudding with strawberries and a choc biscuit at the side. =)

I was so tired at the end of the day. But totally happy that our guests were satisfied and most importantly, they enjoyed the food. Almost everything was finished, except for a portion of Bak Kut Teh.

Saturday
It was a regular day at the gals' school. But they get the Monday off.

The school invited all parents to observe how our children study and interact in school. There was a special ceremony planned for the 4 Graders. 二分の一成人式{ni-bun-no-ichi-sei-jin-shiki}, which literally means half of coming of age ceremony.

Adulthood is when one turns 20 in Japan. So the 4 Graders are half an adult and a special ceremony was prepared for them.

Hubby and I swelled with pride when Rachelle made her speech in front of all the 4 Graders and parents, all in Japanese. I needed a translation from hubby after that. =P

Really think the gals love the education system here. So much fun, pace is so much slower. They have time to nurture the whole child, not just his brains.

This is really something we will definitely miss when we get back home.

Sunday
The children staying in the International house had come together to plan their own farewell party which was to be held tonight. And I had to make pizzas for them.

We went to Ginza in search of a toy that a friend has asked us to get, but to no avail, we will have to try another place. So the gals bought little gifts for their gift exchange for the party.

It was such a cold and cloudy day. As I did not have any ingredients for pizzas, I had to make a trip to the supermarket to buy some. So I made Japanese pizzas instead, I made お好み焼き{o-ko-no-mi-ya-ki}. Cos I have just enough ingredients for that. And I made really small ones, bite-sized ones.

It's good to hear that the children loved them and finished every piece that I had made. =)

Well, the end of yet another week. That leaves us with just 5 weeks to go. So fast, too fast, time is slipping too fast.

Another exciting week ahead starting with tmrw.

We're meeting Mariko-san to view a Hinamatsuri, an exhibition of dolls. It's Girls' Day on March 3rd, and households who have girls in their family would put up dolls dressed in kimono. This is to wish the girls good health and life. The dolls are promptly kept after March 3rd cos it is believed that if the family leaves the dolls out after March 3rd, the daughter will marry late.

Interesting.

Then it's off to Kidzania on Tuesday. Our final visit, this time with Korean friends.

Hokkaido trip is the following week! Looking forward! =)

No comments: