Wednesday 9 February 2011

炒米粉

Hubby returned today and we hosted dinner. I had planned to prepare a simple meal of fried bee hoon and chicken curry. So I searched the internet for fried bee hoon recipe.

2 days of searching and still I was not able to find what I like. So many of them say that one cannot go wrong with fried bee hoon cos it's just too simple to prepare.

I beg to differ.

There was just too much preparation involved. Soak the bee hoon. Saute all the ingredients separately. Fry a thin omelet. Prepare soy sauce mixture cos the bee hoon will really soak up lots of fluids. And it's not easy to get the bee hoon nice and browned evenly.

Thanks to one particular recipe that used a soy sauce mixture to soak the bee hoon instead of just plain tap water. The bee hoon came out nice and evenly coloured.

I have never fried bee hoon before. So having no recipe to follow, I felt so insecure, I actually prayed for success.

The bee hoon looked very good, if I say so myself. But hubby felt that it could be a tad saltier, which I too agreed.

To make me more 'kan cheong', the guys reached home earlier than expected! Thank God I started cooking much earlier and was actually ready by the time our guests arrived.

The evening started with some beer and nuts while I prepared some gyozas. Served the gyozas with a salad I had prepared in the afternoon. Heated up the curry.

Halfway through with the gyozas, I served the bee hoon and the curry.

Then we had apples. Followed by coffee.

We ate from 5.30pm to 9pm. Good fun. Great company.

Hubby washed all the dishes and pots after that.
Cos he said that I had slit my finger. =P

No comments: