Tuesday 22 March 2011

now then you tell me

Ever since knowing which classes the gals will be attending when back in Singapore, I have been in contact with their Form Teachers. They are the nicest teachers and are great help in emailing me worksheets and even their slides used for classroom teaching.

I have yet to hear from the rest of their subject teachers. I had specifically written to ask about their CL teachers. I really needed the extra help and guidance so that I can better prepare the gals in CL.

A couple of weeks ago, I realised that the Scheme Of Work (SOW) for Rachelle's CL reflected titles that were alien to us! This got us really anxious.

You see, during our transit back in Singapore last Oct, I had bought the Higher Chinese Language (HCL) books by mistake. I didnt realise that there was another textbook for Standard CL.

And so, I asked my dad to airmail the Standard CL textbook and workbook to me once the books were delivered to my in-law's. I had bought the books according to the book list that was given to me by the school. So cannot go wrong right?

Wrong.

Rachelle has since been working on her Standard CL until we notice the different titles in the SOW. Funny thing is, the titles reflected in the SOW were from the Foundation CL books!

Confused yet?

So when we realised that, Rachelle was diligent enough to learn from both books, HCL and Standard CL. So very proud of her. She self-studied all the way, with her laptop and the iPod touch. All 6 units. Means she did 12 units.

Today her CL head decided to email me.

I was told that Rachelle needs to sit for a placement test for CL. If she does not make the mark for HCL, she will be going to another class, no longer 5A as 5A is the only class that does HCL.

That got me really upset.

Not that I was told and did not prepare Rachelle for it. But we were not informed, even having taken the initiative to ask for more info!!

Replied her emailed and clearly stated my unhappiness.

Then she said that the exercise was just a gauge for her CL. And if I so wish for Rachelle to remain in 5A, and if she doesnt perform up to mark by SA2, they will have to suggest that she takes Standard CL instead.

Not that I chose for her to go to 5A at the first place! It was told to me that she will be going to 5A. Didnt they already know that 5A is the only class doing HCL by January?!

Anyways, too tired and angry to reply her now. Will do so tomorrow. And with my email tomorrow, I will attach the SOW that was sent to me in January and my emails to the school asking for assistance in this area. And I will make sure I cc all HODs.

Now knowing who 5A's form teacher is, I really want Rachelle to remain in 5A. Primary 5 and 6 are vital years leading to the PSLE. And a good teacher plays a very important role.

No comments: